Ever searched the Internet looking for what exactly you were missing from the old board game you pulled from your closet, only to find no succour in your time of need? Well, stop that fruitless searching through endless google results, as this week we look at the 1977 version of Milton Bradley‘s classic Game of Life.
A much deeper discussion of the game’s origin, gameplay mechanic and the differences between the various versions throughout the years can be found in a previous blog entry, titled, The Best Classic Board Games – The Game of Life. What’s In That Game Box? deals specifically with the game’s contents, which are:
The game box (with white background and several pictures of the game being played)
The game board (with a 162 space intertwined track which crosses over several mountains and a bridge)
A curved white bridge that attaches to the game board.
Three green mountain pieces (small, medium, and large) that attach to the game board.
The Wheel of Fortune, a four piece three-dimensional spinner that attaches to the game board.
Seven white plastic buildings which attach to the game board. They are numbered on their bottom, and include:
3. A little house (interchangeable with #7)
4. Office building
5. Industrial Complex (three factories)
7. A little house (interchangeable with #3)
Eight player car tokens (dark blue, green, light blue, orange, pink, red, white, and yellow)
60 people pegs (30 blue and 30 pink)
A blue plastic Banker’s Tray to hold the play money
A supply of play money in $500 (yellow), $1,000 (pink), $5,000 (mustard yellow), $10,000 (blue), $20,000 (orange), $50,000 (mint green) and $100,000 (white) denominations all with Milton Bradley’s portrait in the center.
A supply of $20,000 Promissory Notes.
32 Certificates, consisting of 8 each for Car Insurance, Fire Insurance, Life Insurance, and Share.
A deck of 24 Share the wealth cards, consisting of 8 each of the following:
- EXEMPTION CARD. The holder of this card DOES NOT PAY when given a ‘Share the Wealth’ card. (Return to bottom of pile.) [x8]
- SHARE THE WEALTH. Give this card to any player landing on a yellow COLLECT SPACE. That player must pay you half the amount collected there. (Return to bottom of pile.) [x8]
- SHARE THE WEALTH. When you land on a yellow PAY SPACE give this card to any player. That player must pay you half the amount you pay to the Bank. (Return to bottom of pile.) [x8]
The Number Board (a long strip of cardboard with the numbers 1 through 10 on individual colored squares).
A “MB” stamped inner blue plastic tray to store the game’s components.
A single two-sided sheet labeled “Game of Life Assembly Instructions” for learning how to set up the three-dimensional game board.
A single two-sided sheet with the instructions for playing the game.
That’s it! The Game of Life has had many incarnations over the years, but this version is one of my favorites. What’s yours?